Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Volunteer Spotlight – September 2015

Laura A. Pawlow, Ph.D.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

Name: Laura A. Pawlow, Ph.D

Chapter Position: President

University Position: Professor of Psychology, Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Coordinator

Years of Service to the Chapter: 3 years

Degree(s)/Discipline: Clinical Psychology

How did you become involved as a chapter officer? Shortly after I was initiated, I was approached by then President-Elect, Mary Weishaar, and asked to serve.

What has your chapter done that has made you proud? I am most proud of the work we did to support our local Head Start Agency through the Phi Kappa Phi National Book Drive Contest. In approximately 6 weeks, we were able to collect 2,873 new and gently used children's books from our university and surrounding community. I'm so excited about the impact so many great books will have on so many very deserving kids!

What does Phi Kappa Phi mean to you? I really appreciate the emphasis on inspiring a lifelong love of learning. As teachers, we strive to instill a sense of wonder in our students and to promote intellectual curiosity. I love that this is the over-arching goal of Phi Kappa Phi. I also really appreciate the fact that membership is open to ALL disciplines and that representing all areas of scholarly inquiry is encouraged. Finally, I enjoy the commitment to service embodied by Phi Kappa Phi.

What do you enjoy most about being a chapter officer? Many things, but the most enjoyable moments to date involved seeing a small room in my laboratory practically overflowing with the almost 3,000 books that our community so generously donated and anticipating the delight these books are going to bring to so many little ones!

What advice would you give to a new chapter officer? You don't have to do everything by yourself. You have dedicated and hard-working fellow officers to support you and an entire staff at the national level determined to help your chapter succeed.

What are your hobbies? I love spending time with my family and friends, spending time on the water with my husband and kids, St. Louis Cardinals games, reading, and working on various house and yard projects.

Where are you from? I was born in St. Louis, Mo., but as an "Air Force brat," we called many places home, including South Korea for three years.

Read Laura's bio.

No comments:

Post a Comment