Monday, April 19, 2021

Phi Kappa Phi Celebrates National Volunteer Week

Phi Kappa Phi is proud to celebrate National Volunteer Week on April 18-24 and to lift up our volunteers who keep us moving forward. Established in 1974, National Volunteer Week was created as a way to celebrate service and the volunteers that transform our world.

In honor of this week, Phi Kappa Phi acknowledges the efforts of our board members, committee members and chapter officers that serve on more than 300 campuses across the United States and the Philippines. Their commitment, service and hard work supports our mission of recognizing and promoting academic excellence in all fields of higher education.

Why do they serve? What drives them to continue the work of the Society? We asked – they answered!

Roger Gold, chapter secretary and Love of Learning Committee member, Southern Utah University – Teaching can be hard. Volunteering with Phi Kappa Phi, however, gives me a chance to associate with the cream of the crop. Interacting with such amazing students, reading their applications and sharing in their excitement for learning helps to reinforce my hope in the future. Working with them reminds of why I love teaching and motivates me to continually strive for academic excellence.

Holly Novak, student vice president, Texas A&M University – My favorite part of volunteering with Phi Kappa Phi is seeing what a direct impact this organization has on our local community! You can really see tangible changes. I get to see the love of learning take root in upcoming generations of students and world leaders!

Alise Orloff, chapter scholarship and awards chair, University of Maryland, College Park – My pride in being a member of Phi Kappa Phi is an integral part of who I am, and volunteering with Phi Kappa Phi provides me with boundless experiences and benefits such as giving me a sense of community while making lifelong friends, teaching me valuable skills by raising awareness for educational causes and principles I have always cherished.

Heather Reed, chapter social media chair, University of Arkansas at Little Rock – I moved to the south to start a new job at a college campus and was feeling disconnected. When I found Phi Kappa Phi on campus and started to get involved, I felt like I was finally home. The other faculty and staff involved with the Phi Kappa Phi chapter helped me navigate the university and welcomed me with open arms. The best thing I knew to do was to get more involved and volunteer!

Not a volunteer yet, but looking for ways to get involved? To learn more about volunteer opportunities available for Phi Kappa Phi members, visit www.phikappaphi.org/volunteer.

To learn more about National Volunteer Week, visit www.pointsoflight.org/nvw.

No comments:

Post a Comment