Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Member Spotlight – Ross Bachiller

Born and raised in Pioduran, Albay, Philippines, Ross Bachiller earned a bachelor’s and master’s degree in library and information sciences at the University of the Philippines Diliman Campus. He was initiated into Phi Kappa Phi in 2023 while pursuing a doctorate in Philippine studies and international relations at UP Diliman and has twice received the UP Diliman Presidential and Leadership Scholarship.

Ross is a licensed librarian and is employed at the Truman Bodden Law School Library in the Cayman Islands.

He enjoys serving the Filipino community, which led him to establish the Layunin ng Mapayapang Kaisipan Movement in 2014. The group works to improve local children's educational outcomes and quality of life by providing development support and advocacy through multiple programs, including storytelling, reading, feeding, gift giving, games, school supplies giving and more. Ross has received many awards over the years for his community service work, including the 2022 Iconic Professional Educator Leader and Remarkable Humanitarian Advocate of the Year Award from the Alliance of Hospitality and Tourism Movers of the Philippines.

Let’s get to know Ross!

Why did you accept the invitation to join Phi Kappa Phi?
Joining Phi Kappa Phi recognizes my academic achievements and commitment to excellence and validates my hard work and dedication. I accepted the invitation for recognition, networking, resume building, access to numerous resources, and the ability to engage in community service and leadership activities. I also believe it will open doors to numerous personal and professional growth opportunities.

What is your favorite meal to cook?
I love to cook Bicol Express and adobo, delicacies in the Philippines.

What do you enjoy most about living in the Cayman Islands?
Living in the Cayman Islands offers a high quality of life, low crime rates, good healthcare, and a stable political environment combined with beautiful natural resources and a tax-friendly environment. I also enjoy the beauty of the beaches, specifically the ever-popular Seven Mile Beach and Stingray City.

What motivates you to work hard?
The poverty and financial difficulty that my family has experienced motivates me to work hard in every endeavor. It fuels my desire to be more dedicated and passionate about my studies and the job opportunities given to me.

How do you unwind and reduce stress?
The Layunin ng Mapayapang Kaisipan (Goal of the Peaceful Mind) Movement I founded helps me unwind and reduce stress. I participate in different outreach programs such as storytelling, feeding programs, crafts, and games. Seeing the genuine smiles of the children we impact makes me feel balanced and complete.

What’s your favorite childhood memory?
The simplicity of life of our family in the beautiful municipality of Pioduran. With my beloved parents and siblings, we were happy and contented even if we encountered financial problems. For me, contentment means to be happy with what you have, who you are, and where you are.

What is your favorite movie?
James Cameron's "Titanic". The movie is about the 1912 sinking of the RMS Titanic. It stars Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio. The two play characters who are of different social classes. They fall in love after meeting aboard the ship.

What’s the best advice you were ever given?
Always choose kindness instead of anger, hatred, or violence. It means we make a conscious effort to put kindness into the world, no matter the circumstances. That was the best advice given to me by my beloved mother.

What is your favorite holiday?
I love the Christmas season in our country. I am reminded of the Filipino family-centric values wherein families reunite during Christmas. We often go to our hometowns to spend Christmas and always look forward to Simbang Gabi, a novena or nine-day series of masses in anticipation of Christmas and to honor the Blessed Mother, and Noche Buena (a Christmas Eve celebration).

What are your hobbies?
I enjoy collecting different types of refrigerator magnets and stamps. Some were bought in souvenir stores, but others in my collections were given to me by my friends.

To learn more about Ross and connect, visit his profile within our online member community here.

Is there someone you would like to see in the spotlight? Send your nomination to engagement@phikappaphi.org, and include background information for the nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment